- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- Murder in Malaysia shows North Korea reckless, bolder: South Korea PM February 19, 2017
- Nigeria urges AU to intervene over 'SAfrica killings' February 20, 2017
- Blind cleric behind 1990s terror plots dies in US prison February 18, 2017
- Malaysia arrests North Korean man as row over Kim Jong Nam's death escalates February 18, 2017
- Real leaks bring fake news, Trump says as he blasts media February 16, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- U.S. Representatives vote against D.C. assisted suicide law February 13, 2017
Allopurinol is a type of white powdery drug that is taken by patients who suffer from disorders arising from excess uric acid in the body. It is often used by patients suffering from chronic gout. Allopurinol helps to prevent the recurrence of chronic gout.
Constituents of Allopurinol
Allopurinol is actually an isomer of hypoxanthine. This mixture acts in the body to inhibit xanthine oxidase. The enzyme is also responsible for oxidation of hypoxanthine and xanthine and it results in the production of uric acid. Allopurinol blokcs the uric acid production in the body and it also there is an increase in hypoxanthine and xanthine. Purine synthesis in the body is also decreased by Allopurinol.
Besides treatment of gout, the medication is also used for chemotherapeutic treatments in patients. The medication is also used for the treatment of kidney stones and protozoal infections.
Indications for dosage
The tablet should be taken once or twice a day as prescribed by the doctor. The tablet should be taken after your meal. You should try to take the medication at the same time every day. You can follow the directions on the bottle and also consult your doctor regarding its dosage. You are advised not to take more or less of the medication than the prescribed amount by the doctor.
The full benefits of Allopurinol may be only seen after a few months. In the first few of months of taking Allopurinol you may have more attacks of gout, but the attacks of gout will gradually decrease. You may have to take other medication as well to prevent gout attacks. You should continue to take the medication even if
you feel better and complete the course as prescribed by the doctor.
Special precautions to be followed
You should tell your doctor if you are taking other prescription and other non prescription medicines. Also if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, you should notify your doctor. In case you drink alcohol regularly, then take a second opinion from the doctor as alcohol may decrease the effectiveness of the medicine. Have plenty of water (preferably eight glasses a day) every day.
If you miss a dose
If you miss a dose, you can take it as soon as you remember. Do not take the missed dose if you remember at the time of taking the next dose. Do not take double dose to make up for the missed dose.
The patient may suffer from side effects like diarrhea, drowsiness and upset
stomach after taking the medicine.