- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- ‘Impeach President Bannon’ street art protest takes aim at Trump’s controversial chief strategist February 19, 2017
- US used depleted uranium rounds in anti-IS air strikes: military February 16, 2017
- China carfentanil ban a 'game-changer' for opioid epidemic February 16, 2017
- U.S. healthcare costs to escalate over next decade: government agency February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- U.S. Representatives vote against D.C. assisted suicide law February 13, 2017
- Beijing bans high-emission vehicles in anti-smog move: Xinhua February 13, 2017
- Israeli court rules to close Haifa ammonia tank February 12, 2017
Ambien, scientifically known as zolpidem tartrate is a well known drug for the treatment of sleeplessness or insomnia. Although the treatment is a short-term one, it is no doubt one of the most famous drugs in its genre.
Ambien works by reacting with a natural chemical inside human brain, called GABA-one. It is one of the many major chemicals in the brain which are known as neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters are the chemical responsible for controlling communication between neighboring cells in the brain causing an increase or decrease in the brain’s electrical activity.
It has been put forward that the chemical GABA-one reduces brain’s electrical activity and it is believed that Ambien works with this chemical GABA-one to dampen the electrical activity in selected areas of the brain. Unlike older sleeping aids, Ambien is highly selective in its areas of effect reducing the amount of possible side effects.
No one can underestimate the importance of sleep. Both, one’s physical and emotional health is dependent on whether or not he/she is getting enough sleep. Ambien helps to get this sleep thereby improves one’s overall lifestyle.
One of the possible side effect from the use of Ambien are severe allergic reactions like hives, breathing difficulties, swelling of body parts like face, lips, tongue or throat. Ambien can also cause side effects which may damage one’s thinking or reaction. Drowsiness, headaches, dizziness, lightheadedness and coordination difficulties are among the common side effects of any sleeping aid. Other rare side effects include memory problems, reduced tolerance levels, an increased feeling of dependence, withdrawal and behavioral modifications like confusion, aggressiveness, agitation, hallucinations and strange thoughts like that
To avoid any major problem one should follow the following steps while using Ambien.
o Ambien should be taken only when prescribed by a doctor. The dosage and timings should never be breached under any circumstances.
o The medicine may cause carry over effects. So, one must avoid tasks which requires alertness like car driving, machine operations etc.
o Alcohol should not be consumed. It can increase side effects.
o Other medicines should not be taken without consulting a doctor.
o Ambien should not be consumed by pregnant females.
o Any unusual activity during the use of Ambien should be reported to the doctor immediately.
o One should take Ambien only if there is a possibility of a full night’s sleeps i.e. at least 7 -8 hours.
o Ambien works very fast. So, it should be taken only when one is ready to sleep.
Ambien can help in solving sleep disorders but it should be used with care.