- Two hurt in police gun accident at Hollande event March 1, 2017
- George W. Bush: A free press checks the ‘addictive’ power of the presidency February 27, 2017
- Uber executive quits for not disclosing prior sexual harassment allegation – Recode February 27, 2017
- Are Plant Proteins Complete Proteins? February 25, 2017
- Great Tech Bargains for Outdoor Enthusiasts February 24, 2017
- Exercise Proves Key to Preventing Breast Cancer Recurrence February 21, 2017
- FDA Approves Once-Daily Qtern (dapagliflozin and saxagliptin) Tablets for Adults with Type-2 Diabetes February 28, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations February 21, 2017
- Plane carrying 5 people hits Australian shopping mall February 21, 2017
Arthritis is a condition where damage occurs to various joints of the body due to inflammation. The word is a combination of two Greek words- ‘athron’ meaning joints and ‘itis’meaning inflammation. This disease is supposed to be the main cause of disability among people over fifty five years of age. Arthritis has several forms and each is caused due to a different reason. But whatever the type is the condition is always more or less chronic. One in three adult Americans are known to suffer from this disease and women, in general, has double the chances of acquiring it in their middle age than men do.
Types, Causes and Symptoms
There are several forms of this condition but the most heard about are perhaps Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Septic arthritis, Gouty arthritis and osteoarthritis. Of the above mentioned most people, especially women, are seen to get affected by the last one, that is, osteoarthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis are essentially autoimmune diseases, in which the body decides to attack itself. While septic arthritis takes place due to infection in the joints, gouty arthritis occurs when uric acid crystals get deposited in the joints, which ultimately leads to inflammation. There are two main causes of arthritis- heredity and hormonal imbalance (mostly among women). There are certain common symptoms that occur in all arthritis types and are namely, excessive pain and stiffness in the joints and also anemia,. Constipation, colitis,
and in severe cases deformed hands and feet.
Now that arthritis has become a global medical issue many kinds of medicines are being created and innovated to treat the condition. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are two kinds of dietary supplements that are often used by patients. In recent times the Prosorba column has also be come quite a popular mode of treatment. This device consists of a cylinder that contains Protein A, which is known to attack antibodies. Mobic is a drug that has been recently
launched to treat osteoarthritis.