- Man Who Pleaded Guilty to Murdering 15-Month-Old Baby Gets 60 Years in Prison February 27, 2017
- The Medicines Company Announces FDA Filing Acceptance of New Drug Application for Intravenous Antibiotic Carbavance (meropenem-vaborbactam) February 21, 2017
- FDA Approves Xermelo (telotristat ethyl) as First and Only Oral Treatment for Carcinoid Syndrome Diarrhea in Cancer Patients with Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumors February 28, 2017
- FDA Approves Once-Daily Qtern (dapagliflozin and saxagliptin) Tablets for Adults with Type-2 Diabetes February 28, 2017
- FDA Expands Indication for Revlimid (lenalidomide) as a Maintenance Treatment for Patients with Multiple Myeloma Following Autologous Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant (auto-HSCT) February 22, 2017
- Pakistan airline denies passengers forced to stand February 25, 2017
- Jerk alligator steals a huge fish off a little boy's line February 26, 2017
- Pfizer Announces Acceptance of Regulatory Submission for Inotuzumab Ozogamicin by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration February 20, 2017
- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations February 21, 2017
Augmentin belongs to the group of drugs classified as penicillin as an antibiotic. It helps body fight bacteria. It is used to treat many infections which are caused by bacteria, like pneumonia, sinusitis, urinary tract infections, infections of the skin and bronchitis. It is also available under brand names of Augmentin ES-600 and Augmentin XR. Its generic name is Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium.
The strength of Clavulanate Potassium is not the same in every kind of tablet available. Thus only the tablet which has been prescribed should be taken. It is not as effective or can even be harmful if taken in inappropriate amounts. Patient could be allergic to this drug if he has shown reactions to penicillin or cephalosporin. Augmentin will not be effective against viral infections like flu. It can cause yeast infection, allergic reaction or diarrhea to the baby through breast milk, though it is not known to be harmful for unborn baby. Doctor should be notified if you have been taking drugs like allopurinol (Zyloprim), probenecid
(Benemid) or any other antibiotic.
The doctor should be also be notified before taking Augmentin if you have liver disease history, or kidney disease or even mononucleosis. The patient should stick to the dosage prescribed by the doctor. Even if the form of tablet is changed (regular, extended release or chewable) the strength prescribed should not change. Still, the form which was prescribed by the doctor should be taken, as the amount of clavulanate potassium varies among different types of tablets. Medicine is generally taken before meal to avoid stomach upset.
Regular Tablet should always be taken with water. Augmentin Chewable Tablet should not be crushed or swallowed. It must be chewed. Augmentin XR tablet should be swallowed whole or can be broken into two but both the parts need to be simultaneously taken. Liquid form of this medicine needs to be stored in refrigerator and will last only for ten days. Augmentin is highly beneficial only if taken at regular, evenly spaced intervals. Symptoms may temporarily get better before complete treatment of the infection.
In case of a missed dose, it should be taken as soon as remembered. If the time for next dose comes, the missed dose should be skipped. Overdose should be avoided. If the patients experiences problems like vomiting, nausea, skin rash, hyperactivity, stomach pain or drowsiness due to overdose, emergency medical attention should be taken. In case of side effects like serious diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, clay colored stool, low fever, jaundice or dark urine, medication should be stopped and doctor should be consulted immediately. In case of less serious side effects like mild diarrhea, stomach pain, gas, headache, vomiting, itching, white patches in throat or mouth, the medication should be continued, but the doctor should be notified. More information about this drug is available with the pharmacist written by many health and medical