- Immigration advocates denounce DHS plan to implement Trump executive orders February 21, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- China carfentanil ban a 'game-changer' for opioid epidemic February 16, 2017
- US report: Trend of rising health care spending back to stay February 15, 2017
- Diseased rat urine kills New Yorker in outbreak of rare illness February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
- Aeterna Zentaris Announces Plans to Pursue FDA Registration of Macrilen February 12, 2017
- Bosnia reports first case of H5N8 bird flu February 12, 2017
- From chemotherapy to the catwalk, cancer center stage at New York Fashion Week February 11, 2017
BIPOLAR DISORDER DESCRIPTION
Bipolar disorder is basically a psychiatric condition that is suggested by frequent and violent changes in mood. People with bipolar disorder are often referred to as manic depressives. In reality, though, this disorder can cause depression (which is not always verbally expressed) and can also cause mania, the extent of which can be boundless. Bipolar disorder has been categorized into three basic types- Bipolar I, Bipolar II and cyclothymia. In all these cases, the victim goes through stages of mania, hypomania and also a third stage that lies in between the two. Until very recently, Bipolar disorder was known as Bipolar affective disorder and this name actually replaced that of manic depressive illness (phrase coined by Emil Kraepelin).
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
The symptoms of Bipolar disorder can be noticed in the victim with the onset of adolescence. Most common symptoms are that of distress and even disruption in normal behavioral processes. Experts are of the opinion that Bipolar disorder is the most usual reason behind suicidal thoughts and the act itself. There are several things that may cause this disorder and the usual include genetics and even environment. Malfunctioning of the nervous system, in general, can also cause Bipolar disorder. Symptoms of this disorder are often divided into two halves by experts, namely, the manic phase and the depressive phase.
TREATMENT OF BIPOLAR DISORDER
There are various treatments that are given to cure the condition called Bipolar disorder and the three most well- known methods include treatment through antibiotics, therapy and counseling. Usually, the drugs that are prescribed to treat the disorder are known as mood stabilizers. Lithium and sodium valproate are the most common mood stabilizers. Treatment of Bipolar disorder can also be done by the use of antipsychotic drugs. Many psychiatrists also prescribe antidepressants, though, in recent times the frequency has gone down. In severe cases, the victim might be required to be hospitalized even.