- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- Nigeria urges AU to intervene over 'SAfrica killings' February 20, 2017
- Norma McCorvey, plaintiff in Roe v. Wade abortion ruling, dies at 69 February 18, 2017
- Democrat member of FEC to make early exit: NYT February 19, 2017
- US used depleted uranium rounds in anti-IS air strikes: military February 16, 2017
- Comprehensive Reverse Shoulder by Zimmer Biomet: Class I Recall – High Fracture Rate February 16, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- U.S. healthcare costs to escalate over next decade: government agency February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
BREAST CANCER INFORMATION
The six letters CANCER create an immediate sense of panic and helplessness to not only those who are afflicted but also those who are near and dear.
More than five hundred thousand women died of breast cancer in the year 2005 alone. It accounts for 7% of all the deaths that are caused by cancer. Though it is a rarity, cases of breast cancer have also been documented among men.
Generally the first symptoms of breast cancer could be a swelling in the breast or in the armpit which refuses to go away. Or, the breast may become swollen and there may be a burning sensation all over the breast. The size and shape of the nipples or the entire breast may suddenly change. If any of these symptoms occur, don’t waste a single minute and rush to your doctor.
However, most of these symptoms can also be due to other non-cancerous diseases too such as fibrocystic mastopathy, mastitis, functional mastodynia, and fibroadenoma. These are definitely not fatal and can be cured without much of a trouble. So, if you have cancer like symptoms, don’t think all is over. Sprint to your doctor and get the reassuring confirmation that all is well.
In spite of numerous researches and claims and counter claims by groups of researchers the exact causes of breast cancer have not been scientifically identified.
However,it has been empirically established that the following factors are also found to be present among majority of the cancer patients:
- As a woman advances in age her chances of having breast cancer also increase.
- Most of the breast cancer patients have a hereditary history of breast cancer.
Intake of animal fat may increase the chances of breast cancer among women above the age of forty.
- Unrestrained intake of large volumes of alcohol increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Obesity, especially after menopause, significantly increases the risk of breast cancer.
- Use of oral hormonal contraceptives (birth control pills) over long periods may significantly increase the risk of breast cancer.
There are certain misconceptions in the minds of some people that the following factors may cause breast cancer:
- Use of deodorants and antiperspirants, specially those containing aluminum salts, in armpits
- Medications for increasing fertility
- Consumption of soybeans.
- It can be declared with absolute certainty that the above four factors do not cause cancer. The first factor was unnecessarily hyped by the Bush administration may be to further its anti-abortion Roman Catholic agenda.
It can be declared with absolute certainty that the above four factors do not cause cancer. The first factor was unnecessarily hyped by the Bush administration may be to further its anti-abortion Roman Catholic agenda.