- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin dead at 64 February 20, 2017
- Murder in Malaysia shows North Korea reckless, bolder: South Korea PM February 19, 2017
- Republicans take evasive maneuvers to avoid feisty town halls February 18, 2017
- Norma McCorvey, plaintiff in Roe v. Wade abortion ruling, dies at 69 February 18, 2017
- Malaysia arrests North Korean man as row over Kim Jong Nam's death escalates February 18, 2017
- 3 arrested in NKorean's death in Malaysia; autopsy completed February 16, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- Diseased rat urine kills New Yorker in outbreak of rare illness February 15, 2017
Clonidine is used for the treatment of neuropathic pain, sleep hyperhydrosis, opioid detoxification to overcome with the side effects of stimulant medications such as amphetamine or methylphenidate. It is widely used for the treatment of insomnia and in some cases for the relief of menopausal symptoms. It is also used for the treatment of Tourette syndrome.
How Clonidine Works
It works by stimulating certain brain receptor, which results in the relaxing of blood vessels in other parts of the body causing them to widen. Clonidine is available in three forms; tables, patches and injection. Among all the three forms, injection is more commonly used because it directly acts on the brain receptors. Some of the serious side effects associated with the use of this medication include: dry mouth, lightheadedness, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness and etc.
The main purpose of using Clonidine is to reduce the blood pressure. It basically lowers blood pressure by minimizing the levels of certain chemicals in your body, which makes your blood vessels to rest for sometime enabling your heart to beat slow and easily. The U S Food and Drug Administration (FDA) did not approve this
medication for relieving alcohol withdrawal.
Take this medication as prescribed and don’t stop this medication suddenly because it may increase your blood pressure and cause nervousness and anxiety. Since this medication cause drowsiness, it is better to take this medication before going to bed. While on treatment with Clonidine, don’t consume alcohol, prescription pain relievers, antihistamines, sleeping pills and other drugs that may cause drowsiness.
Before taking this medication, discuss with your doctor if you have any heart disease, lung disease, kidney disease or have had a heart attach or stroke. According to your health condition, the doctor may prescribe your lower dose or higher dose of Clonidine as per the check-up. The dosage varies from person to person. Don’t take this medication without consulting your doctor. It is not known whether pregnant women can use Clonidine or not.
Before taking Clonidine, read the instructions on the label and if you don’t understand the instructions ask, the pharmacist, nurse or doctor to explain them in detail to you. Each tablet should be taken with a glass full of water. Unless otherwise suggested take Clonidine only during bedtime. Store this medication at Room temperature. If you take an overdose of Clonidine, you may experience heavy drowsiness, weakness, lethargy, a slow heartbeat, lightheadedness,
nausea, seizures and vomiting etc.