- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations February 21, 2017
- 3 arrested in NKorean's death in Malaysia; autopsy completed February 16, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
- Researchers find clues to why diet with olive oil is tied lower heart disease risk February 13, 2017
- Intensive BP control has no impact on gait speed, mobility in elderly February 12, 2017
Gemfibrozil stands as the generic name for Lopid (an oral drug; 600 mg, oval and white tablets), Jezil and Gen-Fibro that lower the lipid levels and belong to the fibrates group of drugs. Gemfibrozil reduces cholesterol and triglycerides types of fat accumulation in the blood though it’s working princi[ple is yet to be found out.
Information you should know
Gemfibrozil requires special diet structures and exercises for achieving the optimum results, which the doctors set according to the requirements of the patients. People with liver diseases; renal disorders or gallbladder-related diseases need to go for dosages set according to these health conditions and the usual dosage don’t apply in their case. It also comes under the FDA pregnancy category C, making the medicine unfit for pregnant ladies or ladies who have conceived while under this
medication. Those who are breast-feeding need to avoid the drug as well.
Gemfirozil requires certain blood tests and/or specific medical evaluations before being prescribed as well as during the treatment period for monitoring the progress as well as the side effects. To preserve the medicine, a room temperature away from moisture and heat proves to be the best.
Gemfibrozil requires a person to be cautious while doing anything that requires alertness. In case the medicine doesn’t comply with a person’s systems, it may give rise to allergic reactions; chest pains; short breath and/or palpitations; however, less severe side effects resulting from the medicine are nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, jaundice, rashes and itches; blood in the urine; swollen limbs; indigestion and a decreased libido. In case a person is on anticoagulants, insulin or some other drug for reducing cholesterol, it is best to avoid this drug.
Directions for taking Gemfibrozil
Dosage for Gemfibrozil is set by the consulting physician and must not be altered at will. The medication needs to be administered orally with at least 8 ounces of water twice daily, half an hour before or after both breakfast and dinner and on a regular basis to derive the maximum benefits out of it. It may take up to 3 months for the medication to show notable effects.
Gemfibrozil must be taken exactly as prescribed along with adequate water on a daily basis. In case a dose is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible upon remembering but there should be considerable gap between the current dose and the next scheduled dose. Double doses of this medication may give rise to unwanted symptoms like diarrhea, headache, and muscle pain but shall pose no
threat to life.