- Bright lava lights up Sicilian sky as Mount Etna erupts February 28, 2017
- Man Who Pleaded Guilty to Murdering 15-Month-Old Baby Gets 60 Years in Prison February 27, 2017
- Five things to listen for in Trump’s big speech February 28, 2017
- 5 Hacks for Lowering Your Prescription Drug Costs February 23, 2017
- Big Pharma Quietly Enlists Leading Professors to Justify $1,000-a-Day Drugs February 23, 2017
- FDA Approves Xermelo (telotristat ethyl) as First and Only Oral Treatment for Carcinoid Syndrome Diarrhea in Cancer Patients with Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumors February 28, 2017
- FDA Approves Once-Daily Qtern (dapagliflozin and saxagliptin) Tablets for Adults with Type-2 Diabetes February 28, 2017
- Colorado governor, once opposed, is softening his stance on legal pot February 26, 2017
- Pakistan airline denies passengers forced to stand February 25, 2017
- Immigration advocates denounce DHS plan to implement Trump executive orders February 21, 2017
Glucotrol, an orally administered medication helps to control blood sugar levels in diabetics with insulin independent or type-2 diabetes, which is also used sometimes combined with insulin. Type-1 diabetes should not be; however, treated with this medicine.
Information you should know
Use of Glucotrol is discouraged if there is a kidney or a liver disease prevailing; the same applies if one is also suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis. Doing so might invoke a life-threatening condition called lactic acidosis, detected by overall weakness and sleepiness; a slower than normal heart rate and coldness; muscular pain, short breath, stomach pain, light-headedness and fainting. It is also to be avoided temporarily if any x-ray or CT scan is required that involves dyes that are injected into the veins. In case of a congestive heart failure, the usage of this
medicine is not recommended.
Certain people are allergic to Glucotrol; thus, they require the dosage to be adjusted and certain specific tests during the tenure of the treatment. The medicine falls under FDA pregnancy category B and thus poses no threats to unborn babies. However, it is still to be known whether Glucotrol can pass into breast milk or if it can cause harm to a baby on its mother’s milk. Administering Glucotrol to minors (younger than 10 years old) is not recommended; in case of the extended-release Glucotrol XR, the lower age limit is 17 years.
Glucotrol just forms a part of a complete treatment program and needs a person to be regular with it for the best possible results.
Directions for taking Glucotrol
Dosage for Glucotrol is set by the consulting physician and must not be altered at will. The medication needs to be administered orally with at least 8 ounces of water twice daily, half an hour before or after both breakfast and dinner and on a regular basis to derive the maximum benefits out of it. In case a dose is missed, it should be taken as soon as possible upon remembering but there should be considerable gap between the current dose and the next scheduled dose. The doctor, for deriving the optimum results from this medication may alter the dosage. That also applies towards the injured; those with serious infection; or recovering from any type of surgery. If an overdose of the medicine occurs, signs of low
blood sugar may show up which can be as extreme as coma.