- As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations February 21, 2017
- Explosive blog post details ‘abhorrent’ sexism at Uber February 19, 2017
- Nigeria urges AU to intervene over 'SAfrica killings' February 20, 2017
- Blind cleric behind 1990s terror plots dies in US prison February 18, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- Beijing bans high-emission vehicles in anti-smog move: Xinhua February 13, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
- Israeli court rules to close Haifa ammonia tank February 12, 2017
- Bosnia reports first case of H5N8 bird flu February 12, 2017
- From chemotherapy to the catwalk, cancer center stage at New York Fashion Week February 11, 2017
Gout is name by which medical condition metabolic arthritis is more commonly known and referred to. Under certain conditions, metabolism of uric acid does not take place inside our bodies in a proper manner increasing their concentration inside blood stream. In case of such a disorder, uric acid crystals which are mainly monosodium urate are not excreted effectively from body and they get deposited in joints. These deposits are mostly concentrated in cartilages of joints and neighboring tendons and tissues leading to inflammation in afflicted region and release of these deposits as a chalky material by routes of sinuses after they crack through skin.
Diagnosis of Gout
Gout can be first detected by means of its symptoms which include swelling of affected region, accompanied by severe pain. This pain is internal; as well as external. This means that not only there is excruciating pain whenever afflicted joint is moved; pain also results if sore and inflamed skin over that area is as much as touched. Along with this pain a slight fever is also another symptom. After presence of symptoms is detected, further clinical tests can confirm whether it is a case of gout or not.
Treatment and Prevention of Gout
As intense internal and external pain is first manifestation of an attack of gout, consequentially treatment should begin by providing relief from this excruciating pain. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines or indomethacin and intra articular glucocorticoids are usually used for this purpose. Ointments and icepacks can also be used effectively. Several drugs like Febuxostat and Probenecid (in combination with colchinine) helps in not only treating but also preventing attacks of gout. Surgery is a last resort. Sodium bicarbonate was used in older times.
Best way to prevent gout is by cutting down on intake of substances like caffeine, beer and even chocolates which are known to promulgate attacks of gout. As gout is one of most painful afflictions it is better to be safe than sorry in its case.