- Trump bashes FBI for being ‘totally unable’ to stop leaks February 24, 2017
- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- Hillary Clinton calls for ‘resistance and persistence’ from Democrats February 24, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- Murder in Malaysia shows North Korea reckless, bolder: South Korea PM February 19, 2017
- Democrat member of FEC to make early exit: NYT February 19, 2017
- Malaysia arrests North Korean man as row over Kim Jong Nam's death escalates February 18, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- U.S. healthcare costs to escalate over next decade: government agency February 15, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
Lamictal belongs to antiepileptic or anticonvulsant category of drugs and is used to treat seizures. It is also used to delay mood episodes in adults with bipolar disorder. Lamictal tablets are chewable. You can also swallow it with a glass of water. Lamictal is normally a safe drug and well absorbed by the body but there have been complaints of it causing life-threatening skin rashes among people who are allergic to anti-seizure medications. Your doctor should be informed about your medical history if you are or have been suffering from kidney, liver or heart disease. Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers need to be extra cautious and preferably avoid Lamictal altogether.
Besides skin rashes, Lamictal also has some other side effects like fever, sore throat, chest pains, body ache, nausea, loss of appetite, dizziness, headache, weight loss, anxiety, lack of coordination, and runny nose. In case, the side effects are discomfiting to a greater extent, immediately seek medical help from your doctor. There are also a number of drug contraindications that should be told beforehand to the doctor. Lamictal is also a habit-forming drug and should be
stopped gradually. As k your doctor when and how to stop taking Lamictal.
Lamictal was the first US FDA approved medication for the long-term treatment of adults with bipolar I disorder, since lithium was approved in 1970. It is a long-term treatment medicine and is considered quite safe for a period of 18 months. However, if further dosage is required, it’s better to consult your doctor about the suitability of extension. Lamictal does not, in any way, take away the initial feelings of depression or mania you may be experiencing due to bipolar disorder. What the drug does is to help keeping mood episodes from coming back for an
extended period of time.