- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- U.S. Representatives vote against D.C. assisted suicide law February 13, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
- Breast cancer survivors bare scars in New York charity fashion show February 13, 2017
- Researchers find clues to why diet with olive oil is tied lower heart disease risk February 13, 2017
- Intensive BP control has no impact on gait speed, mobility in elderly February 12, 2017
Lortab belongs to the hydrocodone class of drugs and are popularly termed as narcotic pain relievers. Lortab is composed of acetaminophen (Tylenol) and hydrocodone and is used as a pain killer. Lortab should not be taken without consulting the doctor as it may cause serious side effects in your body.
How this drug works?
When Lortab attaches to opioid receptors in the gastrointestinal tract, spinal cord and brain, a considerable change occurs in the way the pain is experienced. The pain no longer bothers the patient. In addition to this, administration of Lortab may bring about certain changes in the brain which may result in extreme addiction to this drug. Such addiction may sometimes bring about serious consequences such as hepatotoxicity which can damage the liver.
Things to keep in mind while prescribing Lortab: -
Lortab should not be taken with alcohol, tranquilizers, narcotic pain medications, muscle relaxers, sedatives or other medicines which reduces your breathing rate or makes you feel sleepy in order to avoid dangerous side effects. Before taking this medicine tell your doctor about your habit of drinking alcohol and also let him know whether you ever had any liver diseases such as cirrhosis or not. Hydrocodone drugs like Lortab should typically be avoided by patients who have history of drug abuse or other forms of addiction as this medicine has the potential to enhance the addiction for such patients. Make sure that you do not stop taking Lortab all at once or else you will surely suffer from withdrawal symptoms associated with this
In what cases should this drug be avoided?
Lortab medication should not be used by patients who are allergic to acetaminophen, hydrocodone or other narcotic pain killers such as hydromorphone, fentanyl, morphine, methadone, oxycodone and oxymorphone. Lortab should also be avoided if the patient is suffering from asthma, hypothyroidism, kidney disease, sleep apnea, brain tumor, low blood pressure, Addison’s disease, gall bladder disease and many other diseases.
What are the possible side effects of Lortab?
Lortab exhibits various side effects such as the following: –
• Allergic reactions such as breathing problems, hives, swelling of face, throat, tongue and lips.
• Slow heartbeat and shallow breathing.
• General weakness followed by dizziness, headache, nausea and vomiting tendency.
• Convulsions, constipation, confusion.