- 911 call: Mom tried to resuscitate unresponsive twin babies March 22, 2017
- Here are the top 10 dog breeds of 2016 March 21, 2017
- Breast Implants: Update – Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) March 21, 2017
- Array BioPharma Announces Withdrawal of NDA for Binimetinib Monotherapy for the Treatment of NRAS-Mutant Melanoma March 18, 2017
- FDA Approves Xadago (safinamide) as an Add-On Treatment for Patients with Parkinson’s Disease March 21, 2017
- FDA Approves Juvéderm Vollure XC for Correction of Facial Wrinkles and Folds in Adults March 20, 2017
- Study Says Drug Cuts Cholesterol and Reduces Heart Attacks, But It’s Not Cheap March 17, 2017
- Man killed after trying to grab soldier’s gun at Paris airport March 18, 2017
- Campaign heats up to make heroin-overdose reversal drug available everywhere March 18, 2017
- Absorb GT1 Bioresorbable Vascular Scaffold (BVS) by Abbott Vascular: Letter to Health Care Providers – FDA Investigating Increased Rate of Major Adverse Cardiac Events March 18, 2017
Lortab belongs to the hydrocodone class of drugs and are popularly termed as narcotic pain relievers. Lortab is composed of acetaminophen (Tylenol) and hydrocodone and is used as a pain killer. Lortab should not be taken without consulting the doctor as it may cause serious side effects in your body.
How this drug works?
When Lortab attaches to opioid receptors in the gastrointestinal tract, spinal cord and brain, a considerable change occurs in the way the pain is experienced. The pain no longer bothers the patient. In addition to this, administration of Lortab may bring about certain changes in the brain which may result in extreme addiction to this drug. Such addiction may sometimes bring about serious consequences such as hepatotoxicity which can damage the liver.
Things to keep in mind while prescribing Lortab: -
Lortab should not be taken with alcohol, tranquilizers, narcotic pain medications, muscle relaxers, sedatives or other medicines which reduces your breathing rate or makes you feel sleepy in order to avoid dangerous side effects. Before taking this medicine tell your doctor about your habit of drinking alcohol and also let him know whether you ever had any liver diseases such as cirrhosis or not. Hydrocodone drugs like Lortab should typically be avoided by patients who have history of drug abuse or other forms of addiction as this medicine has the potential to enhance the addiction for such patients. Make sure that you do not stop taking Lortab all at once or else you will surely suffer from withdrawal symptoms associated with this
In what cases should this drug be avoided?
Lortab medication should not be used by patients who are allergic to acetaminophen, hydrocodone or other narcotic pain killers such as hydromorphone, fentanyl, morphine, methadone, oxycodone and oxymorphone. Lortab should also be avoided if the patient is suffering from asthma, hypothyroidism, kidney disease, sleep apnea, brain tumor, low blood pressure, Addison’s disease, gall bladder disease and many other diseases.
What are the possible side effects of Lortab?
Lortab exhibits various side effects such as the following: –
• Allergic reactions such as breathing problems, hives, swelling of face, throat, tongue and lips.
• Slow heartbeat and shallow breathing.
• General weakness followed by dizziness, headache, nausea and vomiting tendency.
• Convulsions, constipation, confusion.