- Bright lava lights up Sicilian sky as Mount Etna erupts February 28, 2017
- Uber executive quits for not disclosing prior sexual harassment allegation – Recode February 27, 2017
- Exercise Proves Key to Preventing Breast Cancer Recurrence February 21, 2017
- FDA Approves Once-Daily Qtern (dapagliflozin and saxagliptin) Tablets for Adults with Type-2 Diabetes February 28, 2017
- Colorado governor, once opposed, is softening his stance on legal pot February 26, 2017
- Jerk alligator steals a huge fish off a little boy's line February 26, 2017
- Trump bashes FBI for being ‘totally unable’ to stop leaks February 24, 2017
- EPA chief Pruitt appeals to ‘civility’ but fails to quell environmentalists’ concerns February 21, 2017
- These are the world's best beaches 2017: TripAdvisor February 22, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
Melatonin is the name of a hormone that is synthesized and secreted from the pineal gland in the brain in response to perception of light. Melatonin is responsible for maintaining the biological clock in our body i.e. it makes our body realize the time to sleep and time to wake up. Melatonin pills are available in the market these days which can either be naturally made or synthetic pills. Natural melatonin is made from the pineal glands of animals and may contain different harmful pathogens whereas synthetic melatonin pills are free from such risks.
Melatonin treatment: -
Melatonin treatment can be used in insomnia treatment, combat jet lag, protect cells from free-radical damage, prevent cancer as well as to boost the immune system.
In what situations should melatonin be avoided?
Melatonin should be avoided during pregnancy although there is no proof whether melatonin harms the embryo or not. However, there is a saying- prevention is
better than cure so it is better to consult the doctor before taking this medicine.
How to take melatonin?
Melatonin should be taken as per the instruction of the doctor. Excess dose should be avoided. Melatonin is available in the form of a pill and it is better to take the synthetic pills rather than the natural ones as the latter carry the risks of viral and bacterial contamination.
What are the probable side effects associated with melatonin administration?
Various types of side effects have been reported about melatonin which includes headache, sleepiness, stomach discomfort, a heavy-head feeling, depression, etc. Call the doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
Is it necessary to get a doctor’s prescription for buying melatonin pills?
There is no need to get hold of a doctor’s prescription in order to buy melatonin as
it is sold in drug stores and health food stores without prescriptions.