- Myths about Narcolepsy Debunked April 23, 2017
- Obama's photographer takes down Sarah Palin with one very classy Instagram photo April 21, 2017
- SCOTUS Takes On Critical Separation of Church and State Case April 19, 2017
- Man Beats Deadly Pancreatic Cancer April 20, 2017
- Meet the Adorable Dog That Helps Manage Diabetes April 20, 2017
- The 17-Year-Old Girl Unable to Digest Food April 20, 2017
- Obama attends funeral of ‘great friend’ Dan Rooney April 18, 2017
- This New Mom Expertly Clapped Back After a Stranger Gave Her Unsolicited Weight Loss Advice April 19, 2017
- Organic Herbal Supply Supplement Products: Recall – Undeclared Drug Ingredients April 19, 2017
- Novartis CAR-T Cell Therapy CTL019 Receives FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Treatment of Adult Patients with r/r DLBCL April 18, 2017
Melatonin is the name of a hormone that is synthesized and secreted from the pineal gland in the brain in response to perception of light. Melatonin is responsible for maintaining the biological clock in our body i.e. it makes our body realize the time to sleep and time to wake up. Melatonin pills are available in the market these days which can either be naturally made or synthetic pills. Natural melatonin is made from the pineal glands of animals and may contain different harmful pathogens whereas synthetic melatonin pills are free from such risks.
Melatonin treatment: -
Melatonin treatment can be used in insomnia treatment, combat jet lag, protect cells from free-radical damage, prevent cancer as well as to boost the immune system.
In what situations should melatonin be avoided?
Melatonin should be avoided during pregnancy although there is no proof whether melatonin harms the embryo or not. However, there is a saying- prevention is
better than cure so it is better to consult the doctor before taking this medicine.
How to take melatonin?
Melatonin should be taken as per the instruction of the doctor. Excess dose should be avoided. Melatonin is available in the form of a pill and it is better to take the synthetic pills rather than the natural ones as the latter carry the risks of viral and bacterial contamination.
What are the probable side effects associated with melatonin administration?
Various types of side effects have been reported about melatonin which includes headache, sleepiness, stomach discomfort, a heavy-head feeling, depression, etc. Call the doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
Is it necessary to get a doctor’s prescription for buying melatonin pills?
There is no need to get hold of a doctor’s prescription in order to buy melatonin as
it is sold in drug stores and health food stores without prescriptions.