- Takeda Announces FDA Accelerated Approval of Alunbrig (brigatinib) April 28, 2017
- Sean Spicer says Obama administration was responsible for Michael Flynn’s vetting April 27, 2017
- 'End the injustice' pleads Venezuelan official's son over unrest April 27, 2017
- FDA Approves Rydapt (midostaurin) for FLT3-Mutated Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Systemic Mastocytosis April 28, 2017
- FDA Approves Brineura (cerliponase alfa) for CLN2 Disease, a Form of Batten Disease April 27, 2017
- FDA Expands Approved Use of Stivarga (regorafenib) to Treat Hepatocellular Carcinoma April 27, 2017
- A Doctor Who Feels His Patients’ Pain? April 26, 2017
- Comedian ANT's Life-Threatening Secret Addiction April 26, 2017
- FDA Approves Xatmep (methotrexate) Oral Solution April 26, 2017
- Inspirion Delivery Sciences Receives FDA Approval for RoxyBond (oxycodone hydrochloride) Immediate Release Tablets with Abuse-Deterrent Label Claims April 26, 2017
Methadone is a drug that is used as a narcotic pain reliever. Methadone is effective in reducing the withdrawal symptoms in people who are addicted to heroin and other narcotic drugs. Methadone finds application not only as a pain reliever but also in drug addiction detoxification as well as maintenance programs.
Things to consider before Methadone administration: -
Methadone should be taken only after consulting with a professional doctor. Improper and irregular dose of Methadone can lead to severe consequences and even death. Breathing rate is lowered after administration of methadone so the dose should never exceed the one prescribed by the physician. Do not consume alcohol or any food that has alcohol in it while you are undergoing methadone treatment as the combination of alcohol and methadone can lead to fatal reactions in the body. Avoid the consumption of sleeping pills or other drugs that makes you sleepy as methadone can enhance the effect of such drugs. Methadone should also be avoided if you are suffering from asthma, sleep apnea, COPD, paralytic stomach, liver disease, kidney disease, hypothyroidism, low blood pressure, Addison’s disease, drug abuse and alcohol addiction.
How to take Methadone?
Methadone should be taken as per the instruction of the physician. You should not exceed the dose as prescribed by the doctor as it may lead to serious consequences. Methadone is available in the form of tablets, oral solutions, dispersible tablets as well as injections. Before drinking methadone solution, measure the amount with a special dose-measuring cup or spoon. Methadone dispersible tablets should be dissolved in four-ounce glass of water and drink the mixture at once without letting the tablet to get fully dissolved in the water.
What are the possible side effects associated with administration of Methadone?
There are various side effects associated with Methadone such as: –
• Allergic reactions leading to hives, swelling of face, tongue, throat or lips, breathing problem, etc.
• Shallow breathing, fast heartbeat, light-headedness, restlessness, nervousness and chest pain.
• Hallucination, confusion, insomnia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, etc.
• Decreased libido or impotency.