- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- Vice President Pence downplays concerns over disruptions to health care February 23, 2017
- EPA chief Pruitt appeals to ‘civility’ but fails to quell environmentalists’ concerns February 21, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations February 21, 2017
- Pence offers 'unwavering' NATO pledge, leaves open questions February 18, 2017
- China carfentanil ban a 'game-changer' for opioid epidemic February 16, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- Trump administration proposes stricter Obamacare rules February 15, 2017
- The Trump presidency on Feb. 15 at 4 p.m. EST February 15, 2017
Methadone is a drug that is used as a narcotic pain reliever. Methadone is effective in reducing the withdrawal symptoms in people who are addicted to heroin and other narcotic drugs. Methadone finds application not only as a pain reliever but also in drug addiction detoxification as well as maintenance programs.
Things to consider before Methadone administration: -
Methadone should be taken only after consulting with a professional doctor. Improper and irregular dose of Methadone can lead to severe consequences and even death. Breathing rate is lowered after administration of methadone so the dose should never exceed the one prescribed by the physician. Do not consume alcohol or any food that has alcohol in it while you are undergoing methadone treatment as the combination of alcohol and methadone can lead to fatal reactions in the body. Avoid the consumption of sleeping pills or other drugs that makes you sleepy as methadone can enhance the effect of such drugs. Methadone should also be avoided if you are suffering from asthma, sleep apnea, COPD, paralytic stomach, liver disease, kidney disease, hypothyroidism, low blood pressure, Addison’s disease, drug abuse and alcohol addiction.
How to take Methadone?
Methadone should be taken as per the instruction of the physician. You should not exceed the dose as prescribed by the doctor as it may lead to serious consequences. Methadone is available in the form of tablets, oral solutions, dispersible tablets as well as injections. Before drinking methadone solution, measure the amount with a special dose-measuring cup or spoon. Methadone dispersible tablets should be dissolved in four-ounce glass of water and drink the mixture at once without letting the tablet to get fully dissolved in the water.
What are the possible side effects associated with administration of Methadone?
There are various side effects associated with Methadone such as: –
• Allergic reactions leading to hives, swelling of face, tongue, throat or lips, breathing problem, etc.
• Shallow breathing, fast heartbeat, light-headedness, restlessness, nervousness and chest pain.
• Hallucination, confusion, insomnia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, etc.
• Decreased libido or impotency.