- Franken calls Gorsuch dissent in trucker case ‘absurd’ March 21, 2017
- 911 call: Mom tried to resuscitate unresponsive twin babies March 22, 2017
- Array BioPharma Announces Withdrawal of NDA for Binimetinib Monotherapy for the Treatment of NRAS-Mutant Melanoma March 18, 2017
- FDA Approves Xadago (safinamide) as an Add-On Treatment for Patients with Parkinson’s Disease March 21, 2017
- FDA Approves Juvéderm Vollure XC for Correction of Facial Wrinkles and Folds in Adults March 20, 2017
- Federal court gives students chance to parry with judges March 19, 2017
- Study Says Drug Cuts Cholesterol and Reduces Heart Attacks, But It’s Not Cheap March 17, 2017
- Man killed after trying to grab soldier’s gun at Paris airport March 18, 2017
- Campaign heats up to make heroin-overdose reversal drug available everywhere March 18, 2017
- What You Need to Know About the Heart Drug Repatha March 17, 2017
Oxycontin belongs to the group of drugs known as narcotic analgesics. Oxycontin is primarily used as a pain reliever and has been used to treat both moderate as well as severe types of pains.
Things to keep in mind before prescribing this drug:
Oxycontin may cause drowsiness or dizziness in a person so it is better avoid hazardous activities such as driving or operating machinery during the course of Oxycontin treatment. Consumption of alcohol should strictly be avoided during the treatment period as alcohol is supposed to enhance the feeling of dizziness and drowsiness. In addition, Oxycontin is a habit-forming drug so it should not be prescribed for a person who has a history of drug abuse or alcohol addiction. Oxycontin should also be avoided in case you are suffering from diseases such as liver disease, kidney disease, asthma, hypothyroidism, enlarged prostrate, gallbladder disease, urinary retention, a head injury, Addison’s disease, seizures or epilepsy. This drug should be avoided during pregnancy as the harmful side effects of addiction, withdrawal symptoms and breathing problems may cause harm to the fetus during pregnancy.
How to take this drug?
This medicine should be taken as directed by your doctor. Take each Oxycontin dose along with a glassful of water. The medicine can also be taken with food or milk in case there is a stomach upset. Never exceed the prescribed dose as it may lead to further health hazards. Instead of crushing or breaking the pill, swallow it in whole. The pill has been specially designed for the slow release of the medicine in your body. Breaking of the pill will result in sudden release of huge amount of this drug inside the stomach which might be harmful for your body.
What are the side effects of Oxycontin?
Oxycontin exhibits lot of side effects which may include the following: –
• Allergic reactions resulting in hives, breathing problems and swelling of face, lips, tongue and throat;
• Slow breathing rate, severe weakness, unconsciousness;
• Cold and clammy skin;
• Seizures, muscle twitches, itching and sweating;
• Constipation, decreased libido and decreased micturition;
• Nausea, dry mouth, vomiting.