- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations February 21, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
- Researchers find clues to why diet with olive oil is tied lower heart disease risk February 13, 2017
- Israeli court rules to close Haifa ammonia tank February 12, 2017
Oxycontin belongs to the group of drugs known as narcotic analgesics. Oxycontin is primarily used as a pain reliever and has been used to treat both moderate as well as severe types of pains.
Things to keep in mind before prescribing this drug:
Oxycontin may cause drowsiness or dizziness in a person so it is better avoid hazardous activities such as driving or operating machinery during the course of Oxycontin treatment. Consumption of alcohol should strictly be avoided during the treatment period as alcohol is supposed to enhance the feeling of dizziness and drowsiness. In addition, Oxycontin is a habit-forming drug so it should not be prescribed for a person who has a history of drug abuse or alcohol addiction. Oxycontin should also be avoided in case you are suffering from diseases such as liver disease, kidney disease, asthma, hypothyroidism, enlarged prostrate, gallbladder disease, urinary retention, a head injury, Addison’s disease, seizures or epilepsy. This drug should be avoided during pregnancy as the harmful side effects of addiction, withdrawal symptoms and breathing problems may cause harm to the fetus during pregnancy.
How to take this drug?
This medicine should be taken as directed by your doctor. Take each Oxycontin dose along with a glassful of water. The medicine can also be taken with food or milk in case there is a stomach upset. Never exceed the prescribed dose as it may lead to further health hazards. Instead of crushing or breaking the pill, swallow it in whole. The pill has been specially designed for the slow release of the medicine in your body. Breaking of the pill will result in sudden release of huge amount of this drug inside the stomach which might be harmful for your body.
What are the side effects of Oxycontin?
Oxycontin exhibits lot of side effects which may include the following: –
• Allergic reactions resulting in hives, breathing problems and swelling of face, lips, tongue and throat;
• Slow breathing rate, severe weakness, unconsciousness;
• Cold and clammy skin;
• Seizures, muscle twitches, itching and sweating;
• Constipation, decreased libido and decreased micturition;
• Nausea, dry mouth, vomiting.