- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin dead at 64 February 20, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- U.S. Representatives vote against D.C. assisted suicide law February 13, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
- Brazil Supreme Court judge calls for drugs legalization to beat gangs February 10, 2017
- Sanderson Farms shareholder proposal on antibiotics fails February 9, 2017
Prilosec is a medicine that is used in decreasing the quantity of acid synthesized in the stomach. Prilosec is extensively used in the treatment of gastroesophageal reflux disease which is more popularly known by its abbreviated form- GERD as well as other gastric diseases caused due excessive accumulation of acid in the stomach. In addition to this Prilosec is also used to cure erosive esophagitis and gastric ulcer.
Things to keep in mind before prescribing this drug:
Prilosec OTC should be taken once a day for a couple of weeks. It may take as long as 4 days to experience its complete effect. Prilosec is used to treat heartburn symptoms. Never use this medicine if you are allergic to Prilosec or other drugs or suffering from any kind of liver diseases. For getting the best results follow the doctor’s instructions in every detail. Administration of Prilosec should, however, be avoided in case you are suffering from the following diseases or symptoms: –
• Black and bloody stools;
• Difficulty and pain in swallowing;
• Frequent chest pain;
• Vomit that appears like blood;
• Heartburn associated with panting ;
• Stomach ache;
• Sudden weight loss;
• Nausea, headache and vomiting.
Prilosec falls under the FDA pregnancy category C which means that this drug may cause harm to the fetus during the period of pregnancy.
How to take this medicine?
Take the Prilosec dose as prescribed by the doctor without exceeding it. Take the dose along with a glassful of water. Prilosec medicine should be taken before meal. Swallow the entire pill instead of breaking it or crushing it as the pills have been specially designed for slow release of the drug into the system.
What are the possible side effects associated with this drug?
The drug Prilosec may exhibit various side effects which includes the following: –
• Allergic reaction leading to hives, swelling of face, lips, tongue and throat and breathing difficulties;
• Nausea, headache, vomiting, diarrhea;
• Stomach ache.
Call the doctor immediately if you experience any of the side effects mentioned above.