- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- Infant who survived in 1920s sideshow incubator dies at 96 February 24, 2017
- Murder in Malaysia shows North Korea reckless, bolder: South Korea PM February 19, 2017
- Explosive blog post details ‘abhorrent’ sexism at Uber February 19, 2017
- Malaysia arrests North Korean man as row over Kim Jong Nam's death escalates February 18, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
Propecia is the drug used to prevent the conversion of testosterone to its active form dihydrotestosterone or DHT in the human body. DHT is the factor that is responsible for the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia and hair loss. Propecia is primarily used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia where the prostrate gland gets enlarged. The medicine also finds application in the treatment of hair loss due to male baldness.
Things to keep in mind before prescribing this drug:
Propecia is the drug which can be very harmful for the pregnant women. Pregnant women or women planning for pregnancy must not handle broken or crushed Propecia pills as this medicine gets absorbed into the body through the skin and may affect the developing embryo. Propecia is known to cause birth defects in the male babies so this drug should better be avoided during the course of pregnancy. Before taking this medicine, tell your doctor about your medical history and whether you are suffering from liver disease or not. Propecia is a drug meant for male use only as its sole purpose is to regulate the male hormones in the body. Propecia falls under FDA pregnancy category X which means that this medicine has been found to cause birth defects in human male embryo.
How to take this medicine?
Propecia must be taken exactly the way the doctor has instructed you to. Never exceed the prescribed dose as it may cause adverse effects on your health. Take each dose along with a glassful of water. You may need to undergo through a prostrate-specific antigen or PSA test during the course of your treatment for detecting prostrate cancer. This drug should be stored at room temperature away from moisture and sunlight.
What are the possible side effects associated with this medicine?
Propecia exhibits various types of side effects which may include the following: –
• Allergic reactions in the body which exhibits symptoms like hives, breathing problem and swelling up of face, tongue and throat;
• Decreased sex drive;
• Decrease in the quantity of ejaculate;
• Breast enlargement;
Contact the doctor as soon as possible if you experience any of the above symptoms!