- Takeda Announces FDA Accelerated Approval of Alunbrig (brigatinib) April 28, 2017
- Sean Spicer says Obama administration was responsible for Michael Flynn’s vetting April 27, 2017
- 1992 ‘Rodney King riots' – A look back at L.A. in flames April 28, 2017
- 'End the injustice' pleads Venezuelan official's son over unrest April 27, 2017
- FDA Approves Rydapt (midostaurin) for FLT3-Mutated Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Systemic Mastocytosis April 28, 2017
- FDA Approves Brineura (cerliponase alfa) for CLN2 Disease, a Form of Batten Disease April 27, 2017
- FDA Expands Approved Use of Stivarga (regorafenib) to Treat Hepatocellular Carcinoma April 27, 2017
- US Supreme Court takes narrow view on tribal immunity April 25, 2017
- FDA Approves Xatmep (methotrexate) Oral Solution April 26, 2017
- Inspirion Delivery Sciences Receives FDA Approval for RoxyBond (oxycodone hydrochloride) Immediate Release Tablets with Abuse-Deterrent Label Claims April 26, 2017
Prozac is an antidepressant drug which belongs to the class of sedative serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs. Prozac can affect the chemicals present in the brain which may have become unbalanced thereby resulting in depression, anxiety, panic or obsessive compulsive disorder. Prozac is extensively used in the treatment of eating disorder called bulimia nervosa, premenstrual dysphonic disorder or PMDD, major depressive disorder as well as obsessive compulsive disorder.
Important facts about this drug:
Prozac should not be taken along with medicines like thioridazine, pimozide or monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as phenelzine, isocarboxazid, selegiline, rasagiline or tranylcypromine. You need to give a minimum of fifteen days gap after taking MAOI in order to begin Prozac treatment. In the beginning of Prozac medication, suicidal thoughts may come to your mind especially if you are younger than the age of twenty four. Prozac is the sole drug that has been proved to be effective even in case of children suffering from depression. Contact your doctor at once in case you experience any of the following symptoms: –
• Change in mood;
• Aggressive behavior;
• Panic attacks;
• Suicidal or self-harming thoughts;
• Impulsive behavior;
Antidepressants like Prozac may cause severe lung problems in newborn babies if their mother had used this medicine during the period of pregnancy. Administration of Prozac should also be avoided in case the patient is suffering from any of the following diseases: –
• Liver cirrhosis;
• Kidney disease;
• Seizures or epilepsy;
• History of suicidal tendency or drug abuse;
• Bipolar disorder.
What are the possible side effects associated with this drug?
The medicine Prozac may exhibit various types of side effects which includes the following: –
• Allergic reactions in the body after administration of this drug which results in hives and swelling of face, tongue, throat and breathing difficulties;
• Psychological problems such as panic attacks, depression, anxiety, aggressiveness, impulsive behavior, changes in the mood, insomnia, suicidal thoughts, etc;
• Seizure, tremors, muscle twitching;
• Red skin rashes;
• Problems in balance and co-ordination;
• Restlessness, confusion, fast pulse rate and sweating.