- Franken calls Gorsuch dissent in trucker case ‘absurd’ March 21, 2017
- Puerto Rico governor, bondholders divided on PREPA deal March 22, 2017
- Array BioPharma Announces Withdrawal of NDA for Binimetinib Monotherapy for the Treatment of NRAS-Mutant Melanoma March 18, 2017
- FDA Approves Xadago (safinamide) as an Add-On Treatment for Patients with Parkinson’s Disease March 21, 2017
- FDA Approves Juvéderm Vollure XC for Correction of Facial Wrinkles and Folds in Adults March 20, 2017
- Federal court gives students chance to parry with judges March 19, 2017
- How are Americans reacting to the GOP health care bill? March 19, 2017
- Study Says Drug Cuts Cholesterol and Reduces Heart Attacks, But It’s Not Cheap March 17, 2017
- Man killed after trying to grab soldier’s gun at Paris airport March 18, 2017
- Campaign heats up to make heroin-overdose reversal drug available everywhere March 18, 2017
Prozac is an antidepressant drug which belongs to the class of sedative serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs. Prozac can affect the chemicals present in the brain which may have become unbalanced thereby resulting in depression, anxiety, panic or obsessive compulsive disorder. Prozac is extensively used in the treatment of eating disorder called bulimia nervosa, premenstrual dysphonic disorder or PMDD, major depressive disorder as well as obsessive compulsive disorder.
Important facts about this drug:
Prozac should not be taken along with medicines like thioridazine, pimozide or monoamine oxidase inhibitors such as phenelzine, isocarboxazid, selegiline, rasagiline or tranylcypromine. You need to give a minimum of fifteen days gap after taking MAOI in order to begin Prozac treatment. In the beginning of Prozac medication, suicidal thoughts may come to your mind especially if you are younger than the age of twenty four. Prozac is the sole drug that has been proved to be effective even in case of children suffering from depression. Contact your doctor at once in case you experience any of the following symptoms: –
• Change in mood;
• Aggressive behavior;
• Panic attacks;
• Suicidal or self-harming thoughts;
• Impulsive behavior;
Antidepressants like Prozac may cause severe lung problems in newborn babies if their mother had used this medicine during the period of pregnancy. Administration of Prozac should also be avoided in case the patient is suffering from any of the following diseases: –
• Liver cirrhosis;
• Kidney disease;
• Seizures or epilepsy;
• History of suicidal tendency or drug abuse;
• Bipolar disorder.
What are the possible side effects associated with this drug?
The medicine Prozac may exhibit various types of side effects which includes the following: –
• Allergic reactions in the body after administration of this drug which results in hives and swelling of face, tongue, throat and breathing difficulties;
• Psychological problems such as panic attacks, depression, anxiety, aggressiveness, impulsive behavior, changes in the mood, insomnia, suicidal thoughts, etc;
• Seizure, tremors, muscle twitching;
• Red skin rashes;
• Problems in balance and co-ordination;
• Restlessness, confusion, fast pulse rate and sweating.