- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- Infant who survived in 1920s sideshow incubator dies at 96 February 24, 2017
- Woman Rescues Cop By Jumping on Attacker's Back: 'This Is a True Hero Right Here' February 20, 2017
- Explosive blog post details ‘abhorrent’ sexism at Uber February 19, 2017
- Hundreds of Cubans deported after US immigration status end: Cuba February 18, 2017
- 12 of the World’s Most Beautiful Waterfalls February 17, 2017
- Live updates: President Trump’s rally in Florida February 17, 2017
- Mass Deportations Have Begun, Congressman Says February 16, 2017
- Comprehensive Reverse Shoulder by Zimmer Biomet: Class I Recall – High Fracture Rate February 16, 2017
- Harvard, MIT research institute holds on to gene-editing patent rights February 15, 2017
Tamoxifen was invented and marketed 30 years ago. Tamoxifen is used to treat breast cancer in patients. The medication can also be used to treat other conditions as well such as fertility.
Working of the medication
The medication works by irritating the development of oestrogen that is responsible for the growth of the cancer cells. It prevents the cells affected with cancer to divide further. The medication prevents oestrogen from reaching the cancer cells and hence impedes their further growth. The medication is also used to shrink the size of the tumors before they are removed in surgery.
When is the medication prescribed?
Your doctor will consider a number of factors before actually prescribing the medication to you. There may be tests conducted to check whether oestrogen has entered the cells leading to cancer. The medication can be prescribed before a breast cancer surgery to reduce the size of the lump so that it can be easily removed. The medication can also be prescribed after the surgery so as to lessen the risk of the tumor coming back. The medication is generally prescribed for five years to patients who are suffering from breast cancer. The drug can also be used to treat cancer that has come back.
At the present, research is being conducted to check whether Tamiflu can help prevent the occurrence of cancer. There are chances of the cancer being passed on to siblings. Hence if you think that a family member is at high risk of getting breast cancer in the future, then it is necessary to discuss the preventive actions to be taken with the doctor.
Instructions for dosage
The tablet has to be swallowed whole with a glass full of water. Ask your doctor as to which power tablet has to be taken as the tablet is available in different strengths like 10 mg, 20 mg and 40 mg. Also the drug is available under different brand names, so do consult your doctor on that basis. The medicine is also available in syrup form for those people who find it difficult to swallow the tablet. The medication is to be taken at the same time every day. In case you feel sick when you have had the tablet without food, it is advisable to start taking it with food.
The side effects of the medication may include flushes and cold sweats which may last for some time.