- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin dead at 64 February 20, 2017
- Explosive blog post details ‘abhorrent’ sexism at Uber February 19, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
- From chemotherapy to the catwalk, cancer center stage at New York Fashion Week February 11, 2017
- Big China city says many poultry markets infected with bird flu: media February 11, 2017
Topamax is the medicine that is extensively used in the treatment of seizure or epilepsy. Although the exact mechanism of action of this medicine is not yet known, however, it is believed that Topamax affects the chemical impulses in the brain which are responsible for causing seizures.
Facts to keep in mind before prescribing this medicine:
During treatment with Topamax you may suffer from symptoms such as blurred vision, pain in the eyes and changes in vision. Seek emergency help if you experience any of these symptoms. Do not stop taking this medicine all of a sudden even if you feel better so as to avoid recurrence of seizures. Avoid performing hazardous activities such as driving or operating machinery as Topamax can cause drowsiness or dizziness. Consumption of alcohol should be avoided during the course of treatment as alcohol may enhance the dizziness as well as risk of seizure in the patient. Drink lots of water during the course of treatment in order to prevent formation of kidney stones. Administration of this drug should be typically avoided if the patient is suffering from liver or kidney disease. Topamax falls under FDA pregnancy category C which signifies that this medicine may or may not be harmful for the developing fetus and is usually not recommended during the period of pregnancy.
How to take this medicine?
Topamax should be taken exactly the way the doctor or pharmacist has directed you to. Never exceed the prescribed dosage quantity. Each Topamax dose should be taken along with a glassful of water. You may sprinkle the content of Topamax capsules into a small teaspoon of liquid food and swallow the solution immediately.
What are the possible side effects of this drug?
Topamax may exhibit various kinds of side effects which are: –
• Blurred vision, pain in and around eyes;
• Allergic reactions leading to breathing problems and swelling of face, tongue, face and lips;
• Nausea, vomiting, headache, loss of appetite;
• Irregular eye movements, tremor, dizziness, drowsiness;
• Changes in behavior, agitation, depression;
• Concentration problems, confusion.