- U.S. seeks extradition of ex-Guatemala officials on drug charges February 24, 2017
- As he turns 93, Mugabe dismisses corruption allegations February 21, 2017
- Murder in Malaysia shows North Korea reckless, bolder: South Korea PM February 19, 2017
- Malaysia arrests North Korean man as row over Kim Jong Nam's death escalates February 18, 2017
- FDA Approves Siliq (brodalumab) for Plaque Psoriasis February 14, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- U.S. Representatives vote against D.C. assisted suicide law February 13, 2017
Valtrex is an antiviral drug that is extensively used in the treatment of herpes. Valtrex can slow down the growth and spread of the herpes virus across the body. Valtrex also finds application in the treatment of shingles, genital herpes and cold sores.
Some important facts to keep in mind before prescribing this medicine:
Treatment of Valtrex should be started as soon as the following symptoms appear – tingling, blisters and burning. Although symptoms get better even before you complete the entire course of Valtrex medication, however, you must not stop taking this medicine before completing the course in order to avoid recurrence of the infection. Herpes is a highly infectious disease and proper care should be taken to ensure that other normal and healthy individuals do not catch the disease. Do not take Valtrex without consulting your doctor as you may be allergic to acyclovir which is one of the prime components of this drug. Administration of Valtrex is strictly avoided if the patient suffers from kidney disease. Valtrex falls under FDA pregnancy category B which means that this drug is not expected to be harmful for the developing human fetus during the period of pregnancy. It is not yet known whether Valtrex passes into the breast milk or not.
How to take this medicine?
Each dose of Valtrex should be taken as per the doctor’s prescription. Never exceed the prescribed dose as this may cause serious side effects in your body. Take each dose along with a glassful of water. The medicine can also be taken with meal which is supposed to cure stomach upset. Regular use of this medicine is advisable for getting maximum benefit. Valtrex should be stored at room temperature away from heat and moisture.
What are the possible side effects associated with this drug?
Valtrex may exhibit the following side effects in your body: –
• Allergic reactions leading to breathing problems, swelling of lips, throat, tongue and face, choking of throat and hives;
• Nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, abdominal ache;
• Headache, giddiness and tremors.
Call the doctor immediately if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above!