- Vietnam says Kim murder suspect thought it was a prank February 25, 2017
- Video of 'chubby' tigers taking down a drone may be way darker than you think February 24, 2017
- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- ‘A Serbian Trap’: Freezing conditions in Belgrade are not the biggest problem for refugees in Belgrade February 21, 2017
- Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin dead at 64 February 20, 2017
- Norma McCorvey, plaintiff in Roe v. Wade abortion ruling, dies at 69 February 18, 2017
- Hong Kong police jailed over attack on democracy protester February 17, 2017
- Real leaks bring fake news, Trump says as he blasts media February 16, 2017
- 3 arrested in NKorean's death in Malaysia; autopsy completed February 16, 2017
- U.S. healthcare costs to escalate over next decade: government agency February 15, 2017
Verapamil is a part of a drug class called calcium channel blockers. It functions to relax or widen veins and arteries, making it easier for your heart to pump smoothly. Basically Verapamil helps patients who are suffering from various heart disorders. It is mainly used to treat hypertension, angina, and irregular heartbeats.
Before taking Verapamil, your doctor should first assess if you have kidney or liver disease. These conditions will restrict your from taking Verapamil as it might worsen your conditions. Verapamil cannot be taken if you have sick sinus syndrome, failure of the heart, heart blockage, Parkinson syndrome, coronary artery disease, or muscular dystrophy. These conditions will require you to change your intake of Verapamil or you may not take Verapamil at all.
Another danger in taking Verapamil is its probability to harm an unborn baby. Therefore it is important to talk to your doctor if you are pregnant or if you are planning to have a baby. Studies have shown that Verapamil can harm a baby as it passes through the mammary gland and mix with breast milk.
Only take Verapamil under the doctor’s instructions, do not harm yourself by taking an extra dosage or missing medication. You must take each dose with a full glass of water. While you may take Verapamil with or without food, taking in Verapamil after lunch can reduce the chances of an upset stomach. Some Verapamil types should only be taken before sleeping so it is important to know what Verapamil you are using and be guided accordingly.
Verapamil can come in pellet-filled capsules or PM capsules. If you have difficulty taking in Verapamil pellet-filled capsules, you can open them and sprinkle them with cold, soft food. However, do not chew the medication. Instead, swallow it directly. Take Verapamil regularly for maximum benefit and do not suspend dosage unless your doctor gives you the go signal.
To monitor your progress with Verapamil, you will undergo blood tests, and blood pressure monitoring. Other evaluations can be taken to also track the side effects of Verapamil.
Side effects of Verapamil
The different side effects Verapamil include allergic reactions, unusually fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, fainting, jaundice or the yellowing of skin or eyes, and ankle swelling. If this occurs contact your doctor immediately to give you solutions and alternatives to Verapamil. Other side effects include headache, fatigue, vivid dream, nausea, and hair loss.