- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin dead at 64 February 20, 2017
- Murder in Malaysia shows North Korea reckless, bolder: South Korea PM February 19, 2017
- Norma McCorvey, plaintiff in Roe v. Wade abortion ruling, dies at 69 February 18, 2017
- Malaysia arrests North Korean man as row over Kim Jong Nam's death escalates February 18, 2017
- 3 arrested in NKorean's death in Malaysia; autopsy completed February 16, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
Vioxx belongs to the class of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs. The mechanism of action of Vioxx is to reduce the substances that can cause pain, inflammation and fever in the body. This medicine is extensively used in the treatment of inflammation, pain as well as stiffness caused by rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and some forms of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Besides this, Vioxx is also used in the treatment of acute pain, migraines as well as menstrual pain.
Certain facts to keep in mind while prescribing this medicine:
Vioxx can cause dangerous cardiovascular side effects which can cause stroke or heart attack. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms: –
• Abdominal pain;
• Nausea, blood in vomit, discomfort;
• Black and bloody stool;
• Skin rash;
• Excessive weight gain;
• Swelling of body parts;
• Itching, skin rash, unusual bleeding;
• Yellowing of eyes or skin.
Administration of Vioxx is strictly avoided in the following cases: –
• Addiction to alcohol;
• Habit of smoking;
• History of gastric ulcer;
• Kidney or liver disease;
• Fluid retention in the body;
• Asthma, congestive heart failure;
• High blood pressure;
• Cardiac disease;
• Coagulation disorder;
• Using steroid drugs such as prednisolone, prednisone and methylprednisolone.
Vioxx falls in FDA pregnancy category C which means that this medicine may or may not be harmful to the developing embryo during the period of pregnancy. However, this medicine is not recommended during the stage of late pregnancy as it may cause affect the development of the baby’s heart.
How to take this medicine?
Vioxx should be taken as per the doctor’s prescription. Each Vioxx dose should be taken with a glassful of water. The liquid suspension of the medicine should be shaken well before use. You may use a measuring spoon or cup to measure the exact dose before consuming it.
What are the possible side effects associated with this medicine?
The side effects of Vioxx are the following: –
• Abdominal pain, nausea, blood in vomit, fatigue, black and bloody stool;
• Sudden gain in weight, swelling up of body parts, itching, yellowing of eyes and skin;
• Allergic reactions in the body;
• Flu-like symptoms;
• Unusual bleeding or bruising.