- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- Lundbeck gives up on Alzheimer’s drug, rival to Axovant pill February 8, 2017
- FDA approves Marathon Pharmaceuticals DMD drug February 9, 2017
- Ibuprofen Lysine Injection, 20 mg /2 mL (10 mg/mL) by Exela Pharma Sciences: Recall – Particulate Matter February 9, 2017
- Well Balance Xanthium & Siler Combo (Bi Yan Pian) Dietary Supplement by Kingsway Trading Inc.: Recall – Product Contains Banned Ephedra Alkaloids February 9, 2017
- FDA Approves Emflaza (deflazacort) to treat Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy February 9, 2017
- Synthetic marijuana substitutes are likely not safe February 7, 2017
Wellbutrin is an antidepressant medicine that is extensively used in the treatment of major depressive disorder as well as seasonal affective disorder. This dug is sometimes used in helping people to quit smoking by reducing the withdrawal effects.
Some important facts to keep in mind while prescribing this drug:
Wellbutrin should not be taken during epilepsy or seizure disorder, bulimia or anorexia. Do not use this medicine if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor or MAOI such as phenelzine, isocarboxazid, selegiline, tranylcypromine or rasagiline in the last couple of weeks. During the first stage of this medication, suicidal thoughts may come to your mind especially if you are younger than twenty four years. The patient during that stage should be kept under strict supervision by the doctor or physician. If worsening conditions such as anxiety, mood changes, panic attacks, irritability, insomnia, hostile nature, restlessness, more depression, hyperactivity, aggressiveness and suicidal thoughts are experienced, call the doctor immediately. Avoid alcohol consumption during the course of treatment as alcohol may increase the risk of a seizure. Seizures usually occur among those people who were previously addicted to alcohol but have stopped drinking all of a sudden due to Wellbutrin medication. Administration of Wellbutrin is strictly avoided under the following conditions: -
• Eating disorder such as bulimia or anorexia;
• Epilepsy or seizure disorder;
• If you taking any other forms of bupropion;
• If you have stopped consuming alcohol or sedatives like Valium all of a sudden;
• High blood pressure or heart disease;
• Head injury, tumor in brain or spinal cord;
• Kidney or liver disease;
• Bipolar disorder or manic depression;
• If you are using theophylline, steroids or any other antidepressant medicines;
Wellbutrin falls under FDA pregnancy category C which states that this medicine may or may not harm the developing embryo during pregnancy.
What are the side effects of this medicine?
Wellbutrin may exhibit the following side effects: –
• Allergic reactions leading to hives, breathing difficulties and swelling of face, tongue, lips and throat;
• Mood changes, panic attacks, anxiety, restlessness, insomnia, hyperactivity, aggressiveness, hostile nature, suicidal thoughts, etc;
• Seizure or convulsions, irregular heartbeat, headache;
• Nausea, vomiting, dizziness, appetite changes, dry mouth, skin rash.