- Ex-Hong Kong leader jailed in fall from 'such a height' February 22, 2017
- Russia's UN envoy Vitaly Churkin dead at 64 February 20, 2017
- Norma McCorvey, plaintiff in Roe v. Wade abortion ruling, dies at 69 February 18, 2017
- Real leaks bring fake news, Trump says as he blasts media February 16, 2017
- Comprehensive Reverse Shoulder by Zimmer Biomet: Class I Recall – High Fracture Rate February 16, 2017
- Older women reduce their endometrial cancer risk with weight loss February 15, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage February 15, 2017
- Gilead challenges GSK with strong HIV drug data February 14, 2017
- China, India account for half world’s pollution deaths in 2015: study February 14, 2017
- Marathon pauses Duchenne drug launch amid price outcry February 13, 2017
Zocor is a cholesterol lowering drug that blocks the production of cholesterol in the body. Lowering of cholesterol prevents heart disease and hardening of the arteries. . People with high cholesterol and heart disease can take Zocor because it reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke, and “mini stroke”. Zocor also reduce this risk in people with diabetes, peripheral vascular disease and a history of stroke. Zocor might be prescribed to a patient in addition to a cholesterol lowering diet if his blood cholesterol level is too high which cannot brought down by diet alone.
The starting dose of Zocor is 20 to 40mg once a day for adults. For children of 10 to 17 years the starting dosage is 10mg a day. Zocor is usually taken at bedtime or with an evening meal. It is advised to take Zocor with meals. Diet, exercise, weight control and Zocor makes the program of treatment complete. An overdose of Zocor is not expected to produce life-threatening symptoms but if there is an overdose
the patient should seek emergency medical attention.
Cyclosporine, danazol, gemfibrozil, amiodarone, niacin, erythromycin, warfarin, and HIV medicines such as amprenavir, indinavir are some of the medicine that can affect the in take of Zocor. Rarely though, Zocor can cause a condition that results in breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue. Pain, tenderness, cramps or weaknesses may attend a person taking Zocor. Pregnant women should not take the medicine as it may cause birth defects in an unborn baby. Excessive drinking of alcohol should be avoided while taking Zocor. Grape fruit juice can affect metabolism of simvastatin which increases the risk of side effect. Liver function should be monitored during the course of Zocor. Skin ailment can crop up when Zocor is being taken. Doctors should be informed if one has diabetes, underactive thyroid, kidney
disease, or muscle disorder because Zocor might prove fatal for these patients.